Translate

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

NOOMA Nights

My friend Bonnie has recently introduced me to these Nooma videos. I am seriously speechless... I mean... they just absolutely blow me away. Bonnie and her husband John have bought the entire series which consists of 21 videos. Each video is approximately 20 minutes long and they are so beautifully done, I find myself just getting completely lost in the video.

How can I explain these videos? It's almost impossible for me to do it. You have to watch one to understand why I am so passionate about them.

Bonnie asked if I would host a "Nooma Night" at my house and she gave me 6 of her videos to choose which one I'd like to present. I looked through them and there was one that really hit close to home and I thought, "Well I'm NOT going to chose that one!". I put it in the DVD and in a few minutes I was in tears.... it touched me so deeply and spoke to me so personally. I was hooked. I want to eat these videos.

The video that affected me so much was called "Luggage" and if you click on that word, you can watch a short clip and get an idea of what I'm talking about. The clip isn't actually the part of the video that brought me to tears... but you can get an idea of how easy it is to listen to this guy speak.

This guy, Rob Bell is a pastor in Michigan. He speaks with such conviction and he's not "preachy". You don't have to be a Christian to listen to this guy speak - because his message can reach everyone. He's just a guy who helps you understand what this phenomenon called "religion" is all about and why people get into it. He makes you see that it doesn't matter whether you go to church or not - but that you have your own personal relationship with God. I don't think I am explaining it properly.

Five years ago, I was so hesitant to say the word "God" out loud. And I grew up Catholic so it wasn't like I didn't know anything about God or Jesus or heaven or religion. But I went through so many years of questioning my beliefs. Who is this Jesus guy? What made him so special? The bible is just a book of stories... how do we know they are real? So so many questions. Rob Bell gets it. He wants us to ask these questions because he is so excited about finding the answers. Again, I am seriously not doing him justice. You just have to experience it for yourself.

Experience a NOOMA moment right now. Be prepared to be wowed.

Go to www.nooma.com to find out more or go to You Tube and search "Nooma" to watch some short clips of the videos.

Rob Bell, if you ever come across this blog... how can I get you to come to New Zealand? Bring the family. You need to come here.

Something tells me that these videos are going to change my life. Maybe they just might be the change you're looking for too.

No comments: