Translate

Thursday, May 02, 2013

The Fun in FUNdraising


 My life is CONSUMED by fundraising these days.  When I am not running my business and doing massages to earn money to pay rent and bills, I am writing letters, making phone calls and thinking about who I can ask for help.

Asking for help has never been easy for me.  I do most things on my own.  

I don't mind volunteering my own time to help others but to ask someone to volunteer their time to help ME is really really difficult.

I am so lucky to have a wide variety of friends from all different professions and expertise to call on.  I hate asking but when I do, I so appreciate it when they say yes.

I'd like to take this time to personally THANK each one of them.

Joanne Rye McGregor - Documentary Film Producer.  Joanne was introduced to me by a mutual friend.  She has made a number of documentaries and was excited to work with me on this project.  She believes my story needs to be told and shared.  She is a recent breast cancer survivor so she can relate.  Joanne has helped get the ball rolling.  I was like a deer in the headlights at the start of all this and didn't even know where to find my point of difference.  She helped me to see how special my story is and gave me the confidence to find my words.  She is filming on her own free time and is there whenever there is an opportunity, big or small.  She is the visionary.  I am the humble poet and muse.

Trudie Malone - Graphic Artist.  Trudie is a client of mine so when I needed my flyers designed pronto I made one call to Trudie and she had it done in just a few days.  She did a brilliant job too.  Much more professional than I envisaged.  And while she was doing this for me, she was in the middle of moving house.  She is a TRUE Legend.

Stephen Kale - Printer.  Stephen printed my flyers at a fraction of the cost.  I ordered 10,000 copies.  Sounds like a lot but they'll get used.

The team at Bivoac/Outdoor Adventure in Tauranga.  I went in there to look at outdoor gear one afternoon and got to talking to one of the owners who very eagerly offered to help out in whatever capacity they could.  I needed hiking boots and they sold me my Solomon Boots at cost plus GST and 15%.  They also kitted me up for my Waikaremoana Hike a few weeks ago (photos and blog to come).

Emily from Wild & Grace - who I swear is an angel.  She is just one of those people who are there to support and do anything to help.  She wrote this amazing amazing piece about me on her blog.  She is using her personal resources to help me achieve my goals.  

Jamie - who also knows the right people.  She's a bit harder to pin down because she's just a massive ball of creative energy.  But when I do get her, she throws together ideas like a machine gun.  And she knows how to get money out of people through the art of asking and giving them what they want.

Julie and Michelle - my Canadian cheerleaders who have been trying to break my story in to North American territory.  I AM Canadian afterall.

Devan - who I only just met about a month ago and immediately took interest in my cause.  He admits, at first he wanted to impress me.  But he's taken on the role of fundraising project manager.  I AM impressed with his execution to get the ball rolling.  He says he'll do something and he actually DOES IT.  I don't have to tell him what to do or how I want it done, he takes the initiative and makes it happen.  He has organized a special screening to The Great Gatsby at Tauranga Rialto on Sunday June 9th at 5:30pm.  Now he's right into the project full steam and he admitted to me that it's no longer to just impress me - because he is so inspired to be doing good work to help others.   I think he's found a new career calling.  If anyone needs an event manager - Devan is your man.

That made me think of something I read on a blog I follow called "Jamie The Very Worst Missionary":
It told me that when we lean in to the gifts God has given us, our Joy abounds.

And I really needed to hear that because, honestly? I'm afraid to be amazing. But that's just what happens when we lean in...

...Joy abounds.

It's amazing.
 
(Lucky for me, my middle name is Joy)

And I can't forget the amazing people who have donated financially to my cause on my Give A Little Sponsorship page and the awesome clients of mine at Magic Hands who have paid extra after their massage to go towards my climb.  All up I have raised close to $3,000.  

And a few bigger sponsors (ranging from $100-$600) who deserve mentioning.  
Rob from Dubai
Auntie Maureen from Tulsa Oklahoma
Murray Taylor who passed away days after his donation
Clint from TeAnau
The Coopers in Auckland
My oldest pal Al in Ottawa
The Haines Family in Stratford Ontario
Nick and Erin in Abu Dhabi  
Barb who is currently in Nepal working with children
Richard out on the farm
Thank you for your generosity.

I need at least $10,000 just to cover my costs and the $2,500 to go to Ovarian Cancer Canada who are organizing the expedition.   

I am still looking for funding to produce the documentary when I get back from Kilimanjaro.  And then I've got to write my book.   Total budget would be a conservative $30,000. 

I've applied for Grants and Scholarships and I've submitted a Sponsorship Proposal with a few big companies who I feel would align with my mission - to educate and inspire.  Now I wait.

What does one get if they become my main sponsor?  They get a list of benefits:

  • One year exposure through logo and editorial on Tracy’s blog. (Currently 24 500 views).
  • Logo on backpack and apparel provided by sponsor:  There will be a film crew on the expedition and a documentary is being produced specific ally about Tracy’s life story.   This will be entered into international film festivals. Tracy will be wearing official apparel during her interviews.  Content will also be made available online. 
  • The use of Tracy’s story to the benefit of the sponsor.
  • Tracy will speak at engagements initiated by the sponsor and/or any future speaking engagements.  Sponsorship will be promoted for a year.
  • Extensive photography of the expedition capturing the sponsor’s logo will be displayed on various websites and social media channels. There will also be photography footage of Tracy’s fitness training leading up to the expedition in locations that includes many of New Zealand’s great walks and tracks.
  • Incidental exposure in public relations. 
  • Your corporate logo on the Teal Banner that will be raised at Uhuru Peak at the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro.
  • Opportunity for international exposure - your logo on the Expedition of Hope website, Ovarian Cancer websites and through other marketing and social media campaigns. 
  • Opportunity to promote your products and services through strategic marketing campaigns.
  • Corporate alignment with Ovarian Cancer Organizations, exemplifying your investment in the health and well-being of women in Canada, New Zealand and internationally.
     
All for the bargain price of $9,950

Know anyone who might be interested?  This is a very good investment.  I'm worth a lot more than that. 

No comments: