Translate

Friday, June 14, 2013

Items I Need to Climb Kilimanjaro

I can't believe it's almost 3 months until I head to Africa.  I am going to have to think about booking my flights in the next week or so.  

It's not too late to donate air points to help get me there.  That's a great way to support me without giving money. 

The only airlines that fly direct to JRO (Kilimanjaro) are KLM, Quatar, Ethiopian & Turkish.  I don't think ANY of those airlines fly from New Zealand.

So I'll probably have to use Emirates via Dubai and fly into DAR or NBO and catch a bus to Moshi.


Other ways you can help would be to donate items that I still need.  Here's a list of the bigger essentials I don't have yet:
  • Wet Weather Pants - Arc t'ryx would be my #1 choice.  They need to be very durable.
  • Gators
  • Merino Underclothing - I've been trying to contact Icebreaker but haven't had any luck.
  • Trekking Poles - the lightweight ones that break down (there are some at Bivouac that I like for about $150)
  • Solar Charger (for camera, mobile phone, iPod)
  • iPod (can you believe I don't have one!  I use my phone.  I'd be happy to just borrow one)
  • Camelbak Water purifier bottle (which uses flourescent light to kill bacteria approx. $200)
  • Super strong camera (that can withstand extreme temperatures approx $200)
  • Video Camera (same idea, needs to be durable and withstand -20 degree temps approx $500)
  • Extra SD cards for media
  • Silk sleeping bag liner
  • Sleeping mat (inflatable from Mac Pac - approx. $140)
  • Day Pack (Mac Pac $100)
  • Glacier Glasses (approx $100)
  • Headlamp with different coloured bulbs for night vision
  • Heart rate monitor
  • Personal oxygen

Many of these items could be borrowed.  If you can help me out, please get in touch by leaving a message on the blog or you can leave a message for me on my facebook page

Still not sure what to do?  How about choosing an item (be sure to let me know what you're choosing so I can take it off the list) and then fundraise for it.  This could be a great way to teach your kids about charity.  They might really get into it.  You just need to be the facilitator.

For my Canadian friends, things are SO much more expensive to buy in New Zealand.  I am not sure what prices are in Canada but from memory, they are about half the cost there.  So if you'd be willing to do some shopping around for me I'd be VERY appreciative!  

That would really be a huge help.



No comments: