Translate

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Agrodome Adventures

There's a lot to catch you up on. I'm shocked at how lazy I've been at updating this... and now I'm making up for it! I want to catch up before I head to CanTeen National Camp this week because Lord knows, I'm gonna have lots to write about that!

So this entry is about our Bay of Plenty branch CanTeen trip to the Agrodome. I've said it time and again - CanTeen is an absolutely FANTASTIC organization supporting teenagers affected by cancer. I didn't have this kind of support when I was a kid growing up with cancer... it's invaluable. As a kid with cancer, you may not want to be different - but you ARE. Once you have cancer, you will NEVER be the same. It affects you in ways you can't even explain.


That's why CanTeen and organizations like it are so important. It is a place where other people "get it". You are no longer the only "special" one... because there is bound to be someone you'll meet who is even more amazingly strong than you. For a young person with cancer, this is an incredible relief. It's hard to explain... but I "get it".

So as I said earlier, I didn't have this kind of support when I was growing up... but I'm making up for lost time now. How fortunate I am - how BLESSED - to be a part of this! As an adult volunteer, I can experience all this awesomely cool stuff with the kids!

We meet every month and this time we were off to the Agrodome for some FUN! The Agrodome has loads of stuff to see and do - sort of like an amusement park but with extreme activities such as the freefall extreme (simulates the freefall feeling you get jumping out of a plane)...


The shweeb (a monorail rollercoaster that you peddle like a bicycle)...


The agrojet (a highspeed boat that races around a small course and scares the living bejesus out of you)...

And the swoop (a bungy drop in a body bag with up to three people).


I did the swoop with CanTeener Megan and Member Liason Co-ordinator Bex. Have a look at our photos in the next blog entry. Enjoy!

No comments: