Translate

Friday, December 01, 2006

A White Christmas in Summer?


If this weather keeps up we are going to have a white Christmas. It's supposed to be summer. The weather this month has been really strange. When you wake up in the morning, the sun is shining and it looks like it's going to be a gorgeous day. By 9:30 it's clouding over and you start to wonder whether you should hang the washing out. By 11:00 it's cold and you have to change into warmer clothes. The rest of the afternoon is a total crap shoot - it could rain, it could pass, you might want to go for a swim (unlikely). Today was one of those days. I went for a walk around the Mount at 1:30 - I thought it might rain but a quarter way around the Mount, it was hot and sunny and I realized I was wearing the wrong clothes. By the time I got home I was drenched in sweat. At 4:30pm it started to rain... which then got heavier and heavier... and turned to hail! Big hail. Hurt your head kinda hail. It was fascinating. The ground was covered and the sound on the tin roof was deafening!






You know, it was actually lovely to see some white. I miss the snow believe it or not. Christmas is in 25 days and it is very difficult getting into the Christmas mood when summer is approaching. I was sewing (making some Christmas prezzies) when the hail started and for a moment - it felt like Christmas.



This was the first time the kids saw a hail storm and they were so hyper! I really want them to experience a white Christmas one day - soon... while they still believe in the magic of Father Christmas. Just look at them!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVE YOU TRACY PEPPER (soon to be pumpernickel!). I count on you to move from a spice to a hearty bread...Here in the Toronto--no snow as of yet--but a heck of a lot of rain. There still is some hope that I will have a white Channuka ("just like the ones we used to know"--FYI "White Christmas" was writen by a Jew). Just wanted to write you a quick note to tell you that you are loved and people are actually reading the blog--well at least I am intermittently while Jacob finishes off some work. LOVE YOU